Sunday, August 19, 2012

Connecticut to Tennessee: The First Two Days

Yes, I know I said I'd tackle one day per post, but the realities of my lackluster picture taking on the first half of the trip forced me to combine things a bit to have a post of substance rather than 2 posts of about a line of text and 3 photos each.

The epic journey began early in the morning, with the trailer and car all packed and ready from the night before:


Western Connecticut and New York passed more or less uneventfully. Either that, or I was too tired to remember much. That's also why, I think, the photos don't start up again until PA. However, once they did:








A couple shots from the mountainous coal country served as the first indicator that we were making progress in our journey. Soon we headed into southern PA, and the scenery shifted yet again:







We also went through Maryland and West Virginia, but we were through each of those states almost in the blink of an eye. Soon we were into VA, and within close distance of our first campground stop, located near a farm:


I made sure to get a shot of our first-ever trailer set up, a nice pull-through located not too far from the showers and other facilities (important for first-timers like us who had no idea what to expect).


The first stop went smoothly, with no problems, and, confident in the knowledge that we could do this, we headed off the next morning to make it to eastern TN by evening.

We traced I-81 along the mountains in western VA, and I just had to get a picture of the highway exit for Harrisonburg, where the headquarters of my favorite company Rosetta Stone are located.







Later that afternoon we pulled into TN, and passed through Knoxville to stop at the Soaring Eagle Campground, in a small town just inside the Eastern time zone. We took a walk around the grounds, checking out the lake full of crawfish, fish and tadpoles before getting to bed and preparing for our busiest day yet: crossing into Central time, going through Nashville and Memphis and finally crossing the Mississippi!




No comments:

Post a Comment